Drink a Beer and Help Increase Access to Hurricane Ridge
HELP INCREASE ACCESS TO HURRICANE RIDGE
By Lauren Soto, Seattle, WA: If you’ve never been to Hurricane Ridge in the winter to play in the snow, you’re missing out (and you should come). The lift-operated area is small and is one of two remaining lift-served operations within a US national park. The ski patrol is all volunteer-based and the area is first-come-first-served with a line forming at the gate once the parking lot is full.
What’s even cooler than the ski area, however, is the backcountry skiing, splitboarding and snowshoeing opportunities that abound. The area is huge, special and very beautiful.
Years ago, the Ridge was open seven days a week in the winter but due to budget cuts, has been a three day a week operation for the last few years. The Hurricane Ridge Winter Access Coalition has been working hard over the past few years by partnering with the National Park Service with the goal of changing this. This year, they were able to partner with the NPS and pen an agreement that the Park Service would open for an additional day – four days is better than three – if the HRWAC could raise enough funds to cover the cost of the ranger, plow, gas & supplies. Unfortunately, this agreement comes with a tight deadline of November 23, and the amount is steep – almost $50k — that’s where we come in!
- Who: People who want Hurricane Ridge to open an extra day this season, or just enjoy beer and raffle prizes
- What: A raffle and fundraiser to open Hurricane Ridge four days a week instead of three
- When: Saturday 11/8 | 2-6 PM
- Where: Hilliard’s | 1550 NW 49th St 98107
- Prizes include: Spark R&D Bindings, Lib Tech 187 NAS Skis with limited edition PBR graphic, GNU 158 Beast Split, plus more from K2, BCA, Patagonia, One Ball Jay, Northwest Snowboards, Karakoram, Airblaster.
Get more info on the Facebook event page>
Can’t make it on Saturday? Donate here>
Contact email@example.com if you want to get involved or would like more info. Otherwise, show up at Hilliard’s next Saturday.